The Voting Rights Lab is a campaign hub designed to supercharge the fight against voter suppression and build more equitable voting systems. In partnership with organizations across the country, we work to build winning state-level campaigns to secure, protect, and defend the voting rights of all Americans.
Between now and 2020, the Lab will:
- Fight voter suppression, particularly attacks against people of color, students, and working people, through strategic, winnable state legislative and ballot initiative campaigns in critical, battleground states.
- Preempt further attacks including voter ID, voter purges, and early voting cuts, through early warning systems designed to detect, monitor, and address voter suppression efforts in real time.
- Expand participation in our democracy and proactively transform our election systems through the adoption of vote-by-mail, early-vote, and the restoration of voting rights to returning citizens.
The Voting Rights Lab is searching for an Associate Director of Campaigns & Partnerships to help oversee proactive and defensive campaign work in key states. The Associate Director will work closely with the Director of Campaigns & Partnerships and the rest of the team at the Voting Rights Lab to develop and manage our overall partnership and campaign strategy.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop campaign and mobilization strategies and cultivate in state partnerships in a portfolio of states to help advance our legislative agenda
- Create and execute state campaign plans and budgets for advocacy and accountability initiatives in close collaboration with the State Affairs team
- Identify opportunities and cultivate relationships with organizations in states where we would like to expand our work
- Organize coalitions as needed with state and locally-based organizations to achieve campaign objectives and create synergy for everyone working on voting rights
- Organize campaign briefings and reports for internal and external parties
- Manage in state campaign consultants, organizers, and vendors as necessary
- Frame issues using polling and other research to guide advocacy communications
What we’re looking for in you:
- At least 5-7 years’ experience in organizing and campaigning, issue advocacy, and/or political campaigns
- An ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience developing creative mobilization strategies, communications plans, and/or digital-savvy campaigns that capture people’s attention Experience doing outreach to a diverse range of stakeholders and coalition partners including legislative, advocacy, media and other partners
- The ideal candidate is an experienced and adept political strategist, relationship manager, and campaign communication expert
- Proven experience in project management including overseeing staff, budgets, internal processes, and overall project plans
- Ability to analyze information, formulate plans, and convey them in writing and through oral communication
- Happy working in a fast-paced environment, excited about creative problem solving, and will take the work seriously, but not yourself!
The Voting Rights Lab is a virtual organization. Candidates can be based anywhere in the United States and will work from a home office. The job entails some travel. You will report to the Director of Campaigns & Partnerships. This could be a full-time salaried position or a contract position.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
At the Voting Rights Lab we welcome and value diversity in our workforce and strive to create an inclusive culture and equitable workplace. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, educational attainment, disability, socioeconomic status, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.
Applicants are not expected to provide any past or current compensation information during any phase of the interview process.
To apply for this job please visit www.votingrightslab.org.