Major national civic engagement nonprofit organizations seek an experienced Deputy Director for Program and Partnership to help design and implement national voter registration and mobilization programs.
For the last 16 years, the Voter Participation Center (VPC), a 501(c)(3) civic engagement organization, has led the way in recognizing and harnessing the potential power of the Rising American Electorate (RAE)—unmarried women, people of color, and young people—as a vital voting bloc. The VPC has positioned itself as the leading experimental and scientific civic engagement organization by accumulating more than a decade’s worth of knowledge and experience in registering and turning out this new majority of eligible voters. The VPC’s programs have consistently proven to be some of the most impactful and cost-effective programs in the civic engagement community—and to date the VPC has helped over 4 million Americans register to vote. The VPC’s 2018 registration and turnout programs were the largest in organizational history, and the VPC’s programs will only grow smarter and stronger in 2020.
The Center for Voter Information (CVI) is a progressive 501(c)(4) nonprofit that works to engage and persuade both the RAE as well as the broader electorate.
The Deputy Director for Program and Partnership will play a leadership role in designing and implementing VPC and CVI’s efforts to register, mobilize, and educate the RAE—and will work closely with partners at the state and national levels to ensure that VPC and CVI programs are integrated into the broader civic engagement community’s strategies for 2020 and beyond.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with organizational leadership to develop strategies to maximize participation and close the participation gap in elections in 2019, 2020 and beyond
- Assist in the management of the Program team and in the implementation of multi-modal voter engagement programs via digital, mail, phones, SMS, and other modes of communication
- Collaborate with academics, consultants, and staff to test innovate approaches to civic engagement
- Help ensure that programs aimed at increasing participation among historically underrepresented communities are culturally competent and producing the intended impact
- Monitor changes in state election administration and how those changes impact VPC and CVI programs
- Cultivate relationships with program staff at national and state-based civic engagement organizations
- Manage implementation of state and national partner programs
- Collaborate with analytics team to regularly evaluate impact of partnership programs and regularly communicate metrics and progress towards goals to partners
- Develop materials to cultivate new partnerships include proposals, slide decks, and background research
- Represent VPC or CVI at external events and speaking engagements
- Collaborate with communications team to ensure external communications are consistent with partner goals
- Work closely with development team to ensure partner programs are incorporated into development planning
The ideal candidate will have:
- 6+ years experience on advocacy or electoral campaigns including in project management roles
- Existing relationships in the civic engagement or progressive nonprofit communities
- Knowledge of the legal and political issues surrounding voting rights and civic participation
- Ability to translate analytical evaluations into narrative reports showing program impact
- Excellent communication, writing, and time-management skills
- An understanding of the testing and analytical approaches and tools used by the academia and the research-informed civic engagement community to measure program impact
- A commitment to erasing the gaps in political participation in this country
- Track record of getting results in a fast-paced environment
Reports to the Managing Director for Program. This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. Ability and willingness to travel required (0 – 25% of time). Salary range $90,000 – $100,000. The VPC and the CVI are Equal Opportunity Employers. Applicants of diverse background are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
To apply email resume and cover letter to info at voterparticipation.org with the subject line “Deputy Director.”
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org