Location: This is a remote position. We are accepting applications nationally and will hire the strongest candidate.
United for Respect seeks a senior digital strategist to take our digital strategy to the next level. The person in this role will develop and executes high-impact and game-changing campaigns that empower our members to achieve concrete victories for working people and people of color.
United for Respect is a multiracial movement of working people advancing a vision of an economy where corporations respect our work and recognize our humanity. We are building an economy that allows us to live and work in dignity.
We are changing the national conversation about low-wage work and empowering each other around workplace rights and community based resources. Our success comes from our investment in developing leadership from our base. We dream big and we win big.
Almost a decade ago we launched OUR Walmart, a national organization of current and former Walmart workers that has achieved national scale and impact through an innovative fusion of workplace organizing and online outreach as well as strong community partnerships. We have won two wage increases, paid family leave, and pregnancy accommodations at Walmart. Most recently, we were behind the historic victory at Toys R Us where we won $20 million in a hardship fund directly from Wall Street and into the pockets of working people.
About this position
We are building the 21st Century labor movement and we need a phenomenal team leader to fight fiercely and implement strategies to win a world where we can all live and work in dignity. This is a senior-level position on the digital team responsible for day-to-day team management and moving high-level digital planning and strategy throughout the organization.
This is not a 9-5 job. We are looking for someone highly independent, able to manage a remote team, and take initiative with little direction. In this political climate, we are often working in rapid response moments and we’re looking for someone who thrives in that environment. We have a culture of experimentation – we want you to find your political home here and propose big and wacky ideas that sometimes fail and sometimes succeed.
We think of digital strategy through an organizing lens not just an amplification or marketing lens – and we want all of our staff to think of themselves as organizers first and foremost.
Scope of the role
- Serve as a team leader, supervising a growing staff focused on planning and executing email strategy, ads campaigns, and social media
- Oversee content development, email calendar & timelines, and digital strategies that meet our organizing, political, and communications objectives
- Develop aggressive growth strategies for our email and social media reach
- Put together complex digital campaign plans that weave in multiple platforms, strategies, and tactics
- Write & edit dynamic content across all platforms to tell the story of our work in a meaningful way using compelling stories and narratives while also providing feedback to develop staff to become effective writers
- Work collaboratively across departments in the organization to develop creative and strategic plans while maintaining the ability to respond to rapid changes in the political environment.
- Deliver campaign plans and reports under tight deadlines while maintaining the highest level of quality
- Identify training opportunities for staff and members – and run trainings on best practices for online fundraising, list growth, email writing, online-to-offline organizing
- Innovate how to best engage and activate members in storytelling, including launching new initiatives like a YouTube channel
- Mentor and manage multiple staff
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in the labor movement, progressive organization, or political campaign
- Proven track record of running successful email campaigns and online fundraising strategies
- Able to keep cool working in high-stress environments and deploying timely content during rapid response scenarios
- Ability to prioritize dozens of moving pieces and competing deadlines and goals
- Strong design eye and sharp writing skills
- Attention to detail and process
- Supervisory and team management experience strongly preferred
- Experience with paid advertising on Facebook strongly preferred
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus but not required
Salary Range: $65,000 to $85,000 salary depending on experience and geography. Competitive benefits package provided for full-time employees and eligible dependents, including health, dental, vision, and prescription coverage and 401k.
Ability to travel is a must.
United for Respect is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to equity. People of color, women, and LGBT candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit our.hiringthing.com.