For 50 years, NARAL has led the fight for reproductive freedom for everyone, including the right to access abortion.
NARAL is powered by our more than 2.5 million members — in every state and congressional district. We represent the more than seven in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when, and how to raise a family.
We organize and mobilize in neighborhoods, communities, cities, and states, galvanizing millions of people to take action to defend reproductive freedom in the face of unprecedented attacks.
We are the oldest and largest national membership organization primarily focused on advocating for abortion access. In recognition of our work defending the constitutional right to abortion, Fortune Magazine rated NARAL as “one of the top 10 advocacy groups in America.”
We are looking for a Communications and Storytelling Associate to join the communications team at NARAL. The ideal candidate will be organized, resourceful, and flexible, with excellent writing skills and a solid understanding of the news cycle and media environment. They will work on multiple projects at once and must have the ability to excel in a fast-paced environment.
Duties include supporting the communications team with a range of tasks, including drafting press materials, building and maintaining press lists, and monitoring political and reproductive rights news. He or she will also lead NARAL’s work with storytellers, including interviewing storytellers, cultivating relationships, connecting storytellers with media and advocacy opportunities, and weaving storytelling work into NARAL’s overarching organizational objectives.
You’ll be a great fit if you’re passionate about reproductive freedom, with 1-3 years of professional experience and a commitment to working collaboratively, including with other departments, and helping contribute to a positive and high-impact workplace.
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Deputy National Communications Director
This Position Is: Full-time, Exempt, Union
Salary: $43,000-$50,000, depending on experience
- Maintain NARAL’s storybank, including reaching out to diverse storytellers and building strong, long-lasting relationships with people who decided to end a pregnancy and those who support them, as well as others who have personal experience with the need for ;
- Connect storytellers with media opportunities and provide coaching and support as needed, while ensuring compliance with best practices of confidentiality and data security;
- Support communications strategies for NARAL’s electoral and advocacy campaign work in at least one key region, in coordination with NARAL chapter and national staff;
- Participate in ongoing planning activities with state chapters, national and regional staff, coalition partners, and key internal committees and task forces;
- Draft, deploy, and/or place letters to the editor, press releases, op-eds, and talking points in key regions as needed;
- Monitor state and national news;
- Build and manage media contact lists;
- Willingness to work some irregular hours and travel as needed;
- And other duties as assigned.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and strong news judgment;
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience with a proven track record of executing high-quality communications work in a fast-paced environment (ideally political and/or advocacy);
- Organized self-starter with strong time management and strategic planning skills, with the ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Ability to work some irregular hours and travel as needed;
- Familiarity with media databases like Cision and Meltwater a plus;
- A commitment to contributing to a workplace environment in which diversity is valued and supported;
- Willing to work as a team member and to contribute to a positive team environment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to handle challenges and obstacles with tact, diplomacy, and flexibility;
- Ability to work well across different teams and departments, and excel in a matrix management environment;
- Commitment to NARAL Pro-Choice America’s goal of ensuring every person is able to make their own decisions about pregnancy and preserving abortion rights;
- Spanish language fluency is a plus;
NARAL Pro-Choice America does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to:
Subject line: NARAL Communications and Storytelling Associate
NARAL Pro-Choice America is an equal opportunity employer. All our positions require a sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org